Sunday, April 15, 2007

Honey Whole Wheat bread


I made my first loaf of totally homemade bread this week. I've made bread in the past with the bread machine but that doesn't really count. This one I kneaded and let rise and all that stuff. It was a simple recipe and turned out pretty good. It was better than anything the bread machine ever made! Mark really liked it, the picture is of him buttering a slice. The bread was really soft with a crisp crust, just the way I like it. I got the recipe off the yeast packet. It would be interesting to try the recipe with different honey. See if you can taste the difference in the bread, I just got a really good local wildflower honey that I think I'm going to try in this recipe.
Honey Whole Wheat Bread
1 1/3 cup warm water (100-110 F)
4 tsp Active dry yeast
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup softened butter
1 tsp salt
3-3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
Place 1/3 cup warm water in large bowl. Sprinkle in yeast, stir until dissolved. Add remaining water, honey, oil, salt and 1 cup flour. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover, let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Punch dough down, remove to lightly floured surface. Roll dough to 12X8 inch rectangle. Beginning at short end, roll up tightly. Pinch seam and ends to seal. Place seam side down in greased 9X5 inch loaf pan. Cover, let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes (mine raised for over an hour at this point because I had to run out and pick up DH).
Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Looks delish!

I for one think bread machine bread totally counts, but that's cuz I make it all the time. *g* I rarely bake it in there, though, because I do like the crust of a "real" bread much better. So, I bake mine in the oven, complete with breadstone and water brushings for a nice, crispy crust. So that makes it kinda more real.

I love my bread machine! But you already knew that. ;)

Christy said...

I have one of the first bread machines ever made, it was my mom's first. It really makes terrible bread. It doesn't knead very well so for good bread, I have to make it myself. Turns out it is fun and gives me a sense of accomplishment that bread machine bread never gave me. However, I think homemade bread however it is made is great as long as it tastes good!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I've been looking for a good whole wheat bread recipe. I want to start making bread again! Looks like all is well with you. so happy your dreams have come true

Lanie