Tuesday, May 1, 2007

No knead bread


I think I'm the last person in America to make this bread, but I finally tried it yesterday. Being me, I changed the recipe a bit. It turned out pretty good, it had a good flavor and a good texture. I ended up deflating it some when putting it in the oven but I have a plan for next time.


My version of No-Knead Bread

makes one 1.5 pound loaf

Originally published by Mark Bittman in the New York Times

Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery

Time: About 1½ hours plus 14 to 20 hours rising


2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 cup unbleached white flour
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1¼ teaspoons salt
Rosemary
Oregano

1. In a large bowl combine flours, yeast and salt. Add 1 1/2 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees. (I let it go 18 hours)


2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.


3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Instead of doing the second rise in a towel, I did it on a pizza peal covered loosely with plastic wrap. I let the second rise go 3 hours.


4. 1 hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees with pizza stone in oven. Move dough from pizza peal to hot stone. This is where I had problems and deflated the bread, next time I will use parchment paper on the peal and just slide it onto the hot stone. Bake 30 minutes. Cool on a rack.
I found a recipe for a sourdough version that I want to try.

2 comments:

Kristianna said...

You are not the last person, LOL! I may be, though. I have this recipe waiting for me to try, still.

It looks great! Oh, what is your "plan" for next time? I'd love to know in advance.

I love your blog.

Thanks.
K

Carol said...

Definately not the last...now I also have the receipe to try.

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com