Thursday, November 1, 2007

Secret Chocolate Cake

The picture I posted yesterday is of Secret Chocolate Cake from Simply in Season. It is very good and moist! I know it makes me a non-purist to use my veggies to make cake, but Mark (the husband) doesn't like many veggies cooked. Especially if they get soft when cooked. So, I was really struggling with how to make the beets and decided to try this first. If we get more from the CSA I'll cook them and eat them straight.

So, here is the recipe if you don't have the book. And if you don't have the book, you should! It is the best in season type of cookbook I've looked at. I checked many of them out of the library but this is the one I bought.

This is the recipe as written in the book with my changes in parenthesis:

2 cups beets (cooked, peeled (I didn't peel them) and chopped)
1/2 cup applesauce (I used my homemade and canned applesauce)
Puree until smooth, set aside.

1 1/2 cups sugar (I used 1 cup)
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used chocolate yogurt)
3 eggs
Combine in large mixing bowl and beat with electric mixer for 2 minutes

1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Add along with pureed beets, beat for another 90 seconds

1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat for all the flour)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
Gradually sift into the batter, mixing it with a spoon until just blended

1/2 cup chocolate chips
Stir in

Pour into 9X13 inch baking pan. Cook at 350 F 40-50 minutes, until knife comes out clean.

4 comments:

Angie said...

Hi Christy! What an awesome idea with the beets - I copied that one down for later use.

Thanks for your comment on my blog about the eggs - I agree, if the eggs are TOO dirty, it is gross. We usually just keep those for ourselves - we just wash them off and use them instead of giving them to anyone.

Thanks for the recipe and have a great night.

Anonymous said...

That book sounds good, I will have to look into it. Nice work on the cake. did Mark like it? I am reading this great book called 'diet for a dead planet' that is all about how corporate control in terms of food and food production is not only making us sick, but destroying the planet.

The main way to get back control is by local and organic farming. He really pushes the farm bill as well, so props to you for blogging on that.

Chile said...

Check out Susan's recipe for beet chocolate cake on her blog. I like it because it's fat free! I took samples to my CSA last winter and everyone loved it.

Christy said...

Mark hasn't tried the cake yet and he doesn't even know it has beets in it! He has been in a bit of a mood the last few days.

Chile - Thanks for the other recipes. It is always good to have more options. Especially for something you've never cooked with before.