Thursday, October 25, 2007

Butternut squash muffins


Melinda asked me how I made my butternut squash muffins so here is the recipe. These muffins are incredibly moist and just all around delicious.


1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup cooked and pureed butternut squash (or any other winter squash, usually I use pumpkin)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup applesauce (I use sauce I made myself and canned)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.

2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt

3. In a large bowl, combine squash, sugar, egg and applesauce. Add flour mixture and mix until smooth, don't beat it makes the muffins dry.

4. Scoop into muffin pans, bake for 25 minutes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm...! Thanks Christy - can't wait to try them!

Danielle said...

Sounds wonderful. I don't have many butternuts left, but I have several bags of frozen, pureed pumpkin put up. I'll definitely have to try this over winter. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Christy said...

I make them about once a week, these are Logan's favorite muffins.

Anonymous said...

So you're finding uses for your CSA squash, 'eh?! :) How are you liking your CSA experiences so far?

frugalmom said...

Those look really great. And I happen to have about 4 butternuts left in my closet from my garden. Thanks.

Angie said...

I just happen to have a squash (Sweet Keeper) that needs to be cooked - I'm making these!
thanks for the recipe.