We went to visit a new friend's farm over the weekend. She had a chicken that had been attacked by something and was in bad shape. She gave the chicken to us since we're home during the day and could spend more time nursing her. Her wounds were pretty bad and covered in maggots. Yuck!
The first day we picked the maggots out with tweezers and used hydrogen peroxide on her. It seemed like we had gotten most of them but by the next day she was covered again. I picked maggots out of her wounds 6 times over 2 days. We finally ended up getting some screw worm spray and put it on her. That stuff really works! The maggots were all gone within an hour.
She is now recovering in the bathroom. She is eating a little and drinking a lot. We've been putting calendula spray on her wounds and have decided to name her calendula. I know she isn't out of the woods yet, but I'm hopeful. She has been maggot free for 4 days.