We got a frost Monday night and when I went outside yesterday, all my sweet potato plants had turned black. I decided to dig them up and see if we got anything before planting our winter cover crop in it's place. I didn't expect to get anything because I planted them in clay. Mostly, I planted them to break up the clay, I've heard sweet potatoes are good for that.
So, Logan and I started digging and Logan found a few sweet potatoes under one of the plants. It was very exciting! So, we kept digging and finding more and more potatoes! I was really shocked.
Here are just 2 of the plants we dug up.
Here is our final sweet potato harvest. 20 pounds! (They are all piled up here, so it is hard to see how many it really is. I guess I should have spread them out for the picture.)
And to add to all the excitement, a couple of our new girls have started laying. You can see their eggs here with Buttercup's eggs. I forgot how small first eggs are. They are so cute!