Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Guinea eggs

We're finally getting guinea eggs! Or they are finally laying where I can find them, not sure which.

They are very different from chicken eggs. They are speckled and have a very pointy end. They are a little bit bigger than bantam eggs.


They also have a very thick shell. I had to really hit it hard to get it to open.


They have a nice orange yolk and have an eggier taste than chicken eggs.


Sorry for my absence from your blogs. Things have been crazy here! But the garden is getting in slowly and the other work is getting done.

7 comments:

Mama Mess said...

Glad you are getting stuff done! :)

sunset pines farm said...

you are forgiven, as long as you are getting gardening done:)
I love different eggs. I have ordered some turkeys which should arrive in a few weeks. Can't wait for their eggs.

Razzberry Corner said...

Oh, I'm so happy you are getting guinea eggs! My 2 guinea hens lay all over the place. Today I found an egg in a sand pile. Yestrday in the chicken coop. Tomorrow, who knows! Do you like the guinea egg taste? I'm not sure I do, but I'm going to give it another try.
~Lynn

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

I've yet to find a guinea egg, but want to try one

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Cool! I didn't know they were so different from chicken eggs.
Do they lay as often as chickens, or more like ducks?

~Lisa

Christy said...

Lisa, how often do ducks lay? It isn't everyday, but most it seems.

Good luck with the turkeys! I had 2 but they both died.

John Going Gently said...

i have a single guinea fowl hen and 2 cocks....hopefully she will be laying very soon!