Thursday, January 21, 2010

Brocolli and ground covers

I finally harvested some brocolli yesterday! I've planted brocolli 4 or 5 times but never gotten to harvest any. It has either gotten eaten, not made heads, or gone to seed before I could harvest it. I guess I've always planted it too late in the spring. So, this time I planted it in late fall. The plants grew well, nothing ate them, and they made heads. Being cold, they never did go to seed. We ate the brocolli last night. I think I waited too long to harvest it. It was stringy and a bit bitter. I was the only one that would eat it. But after growing it, I was darn sure going to eat it! So, I'm still trying to have success at brocolli. One day I will get it right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do any of you know anything about ground covers? I have a steep slope in full sun behind the chicken coop. When it rains, the dirt washes into the coop. I want to stop the erosion. Any recommendations for a good, fast growing ground cover I could use?

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Asiatic Jasmine is a good one. Or some dwarf grasses (but you might have to worry about snakes with it).

Gail said...

I like Vinca Minor.

Wendy said...

Yay for the broccoli! You might try planting a "spring" crop of broccoli right now. Peas, lettuce and spinach would probably do well right now, too. I had lettuce growing in my garden into November, when our temps were getting below freezing at night, but in the 40s and 50s during the day.

linda m said...

Congratulations on the broccoli!!

Jim F Loos said...

Nice post and great looking blog. Broccoli is one of my favorites, I enjoy more with some cheese.

Jim
Feeding Baby Calves

Rae said...

So I found your blog recently, and am enjoying it immensely. I know this post was made ages ago, but couldn't help but comment. I heartily agree with Gail! Vinca is great stuff, and I've had a lot of success with it. It doesn't spread insanely and is easy to cut back if needed, so it is one of the easier to manage ground covers. Pretty too!