Monday, January 15, 2007

A nice day

Today was a really nice day. The weather was great, around 55 degrees. We had a habitat visit with a man that lives less than 2 miles from here. His property was gorgeous! He had 5 acres, about 4.5 of it was wooded. He had birds and critters everywhere. I felt so at peace there, Logan didn't want to leave. I can't believe there is a place like that less than 2 miles from here. There is no way we could afford a place like that here which is why we are moving south. When we got home from the habitat visit we wanted to spend more time outside so we spent almost 2 hours removing Japanese Honeysuckle from the common land behind our house. Japanese Honeysuckle is nasty stuff, it wraps around trees and suffocates them. We freed 3 trees from this menace today. It was a very satisfying day.

I was thinking more about what I had accomplished in 2006. I have a few more things to add to the list that don't look like accomplishments but are laying the groundwork. Mostly involving research.

I've read about chicken care, coop building, chicken tractors

I've researched different growing methods including square-foot gardening, self-watering containers, biointensive gardening, cover crops, rotation, row covers, and a few others

I've read quite a bit about herbs, herbal remedies, how to best grow herbs

I've done tons of research on native plants, wildlife plants, invasives and how to remove them

Research on self-sufficiency and the skills needed to obtain it

Again, I know there is more but I've been trying to get my knowledge base in place so that when I get my place I can hit the ground running.

No comments: