Friday, January 12, 2007

Accomplishments for 2006

Reading Danielle's post http://touchtheearthfarm.blogspot.com/ about what she accomplished in 2006 got me to thinking about what I had done to get closer to my goal of sustainability in 2006. So here is what I came up with:

Replaced my old 25 mpg car with a hybrid (45 mpg)
Built a rain barrel and used it for all my watering this summer (it is still full of water)
Grew tomatoes, hot peppers, green beans, strawberries, blackberries, basil, oregano, cilantro
Replaced part of the lawn with a native butterfly garden
Removed invasive plants from common land behind my house
Convinced DH to stop using herbicides in the yard
Switched to worm castings for fertilizer
Learned to quilt
Bought more food locally and vacuum sealed to store it
Found a local source for meat and eggs
Replaced light bulbs with CF light bulbs
Got a solar powered fountain for the birds
Switched to more natural cleaners (I'm going to start making my own cleaners in 2007)
Became a certified backyard habitat steward


I'm sure there is more but my brain isn't coming up with anything right now.

No comments: