Saturday, January 20, 2007

Seed catalogs

I'd never realized the joy that seed catalogs could bring! I've spent hours and hours pouring over seed catalogs in the last month. Circling what I want, dreaming of what I could plant, drooling over the pretty color pictures. It is such a pleasure. I wasn't really into gardening this time last year so this is my first experience with seed catalogs. I'm not sure if it is making winter easier or harder to bare. It is nice to be able to dream and plan, but I want to plant NOW. I don't want to wait.

I can only do my food plants in containers at this house so that is determining what I can order. Although I've read some good books about growing all sorts of things in containers, even potatoes. I never would have thought you could do potatoes in a container. I'm waiting for 2 more catalogs before I place my order, I've heard they are cheaper than the catalogs I currently have. But I sure love the pretty color pictures in the ones I have. I'll post a list of what I ordered once I place an order. I think I'm going to go in with 2 local friends on what we order.

Last year I grew tomatoes, hot peppers, cilantro, beans, basil and oregano. Not much, I plan to grow quite a bit more this year. Especially herbs since I want to start making my own herbal products. Logan really want to grow purple veggies this year so I know we will be doing purple beans, potatoes, and basil. Maybe a few more, I'm not sure yet.

I need to do a pot inventory to see what I have. I bought a bunch in the fall when they were half off and I need to start making paper pots for my seedlings. Come on spring!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

You can plant now! Start some windowsill herbs and enjoy!

I have tons of saved plastic pots of various sizes. Come visit and go shoppin' in the hayloft for anything that suits your fancy—they're all the same free price. *g*

Oh, and you're welcome to take a seed or two if anything on my list strikes your fancy. Lord knows I ordered enough!

Christy said...

Thanks for the offer! I'll look over your seed list again. And pots are always useful. We need to plan a visit soon. I will start some herbs as soon as I get the seeds. I've got most windowsills that get sun taken up with plants already but I do have one southern window not in use yet. I forgot all about it! Thanks for the reminder.