Friday, October 19, 2007

Butternut Squash

I got a butternut squash in my CSA box last week. This is something I've never cooked with before (or even eaten in my memory). I looked up a few recipes and made 2 dishes with it. I made a squash sausage pasta that was delicious with local sausage. And I made butternut squash muffins this morning. They are also delicious. So, I'm pretty impressed with myself! I'm learning how to eat new things.

No butternut squash this week in the CSA box but I did get potatoes and leeks, so we will be having potato-leek soup tonight. Leeks are another thing I've never cooked with before. I also got a head of cabbage which I've never cooked with, I found a few recipes for different kinds of slaws so I'm going to try that. I also got kale, another new one for me. We ate all our swiss chard from last week raw in salad. Can we do the same with kale? I guess I could try cooking some greens although my husband swears he hates cooked greens. I don't think I've ever had cooked greens. I've sure led a food sheltered life!

8 comments:

Danielle said...

We use baby kale in salads all the time. The bigger stuff, we generally sautee up with a little garlic and olive oil and maybe some pine nuts if we have any.

treegoddess once posted a kale chip recipe on shine if you want to search the archives for it. I'm thinking of trying that this winter.

frugalmom said...

I have made kale chips in the past and the kids love them. Just tear of the leaves in little pieces, put them on a baking sheet, drizzle and toss with olive oil, sprinkle with coarse salt and bake for like 15 min at like 375. They are a tasty treat.

Also, check out the recipe I posted that used butternut squash. It was pretty tasty.

Like the new look to your blog.

Christy said...

I think I will try those kale chips. It sounds like an interesting idea.

Deb in MA said...

Our favorite way to eat kale is a sausage, white bean and kale soup. Yum!

Christy said...

I tried the kale chips but it turns out kale is a little too bitter for anyone in our house. Is there a way to cut the bitterness? If not, I think the egg ladies chickens will be having a special treat. I've read that chickens love kale.

Stacey said...

I think kale is a fairly strong flavor, and a wonderful one, so we just steam it and have it as a side dish. Usually it gets eaten by snackers before it reaches the table.

Anonymous said...

We eat kale about twice a week, and just steam it as well. after a good 45 minutes the bitterness is cut and its really damn good! try some sea salt on it to help.

Anonymous said...

The muffins sound fabulous! Since we have a lot of winter squash coming our way from our garden, I'd love to know how you made them!!