Sunday, June 1, 2008

Independence days - week 5

I feel like I'm wading through quicksand with this challenge sometimes. Just not much I can do with things the way they are.

1. Plant something - I transplanted some tomato plants to bigger pots, as well as transplanting some brocolli

2. Harvest something - still harvesting strawberries everyday and harvested my first snow peas and used them in a stir fry today.

6. Manage your reserves - We ate some more from the freezer this week. I reorganized how some things are being stored.

7. Work on local food system - We went to the local farm market for the first time this year. We continue to get all of our animals products from local farms.

8. Compost something - this is ongoing with the worms and the outside bin

10. Store something - I got 4 jars of PB to store and some rolled oats.

Man, what a slow week! What did I do all week? I'm really not sure. Time to get refocused!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

I think you did well. You're probably even doing more than you need to with touching on each category. I feel like I'm having to make things up just to show in each category :) - not really, but sometimes I'm very creative with my interpretation :).

We went to the Farmer's market this weekend and my youngest wanted only to get some peas, but they aren't ready, yet. She was disappointed, but the strawberry milk from the dairy farm made up for it ... a little :).

Anonymous said...

You are doing well with your list.
I am so sorry I haven't been visiting lately. We have been too busy.
I just saw your post on the new house and left a note. I am sooo happy for you.
And you know what?? That first house in my Young Dreamers that we build long long ago?, It is not far from Monroe.
It was on 7 acres and I still miss it to this day. I went by there not long ago and it still looks great. It held up go good.
You have a good evening.

Christy said...

Well, I'm not touching on each category! I think I only got 5/10 this week. I love strawberry milk! It is my favorite type of milk.

I may have to go find that original house, it would be fun to see it in person!

Unknown said...

Hi!

I just saw your blog... the list you posted is really inspiring--planting, harvesting, composting, supporting local farms are very commendable. I thought you might be interested in some information about organic farming and living.

The Rodale Institute(www.rodaleinstitute.org), a leader in organic living
and thinking, is reaching out to community members to provide them with research and information.

Please go to hero-farmers.org or e-mail me back at kshah@gold-group.com if you want more info!