Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Independence Day

1. Harvest - I harvested tomatoes and basil this week. They were both used in a pasta dish last night. Logan and I also picked blackberries this week.

2. Plant - no

3. Preserve - Made and canned blackberry jam.

4. Prep - No

5. Cook - nothing new

6. Manage your reserves - I didn't do my inventory of my food reserves this week

7. Work on local food system - Same stuff as usual

8. Compost - Same stuff as usual

9. Learn - I had bread baking lessons with a good friend of mine this week. I now know why my bread doesn't rise well.

10. Store something - I picked up some jelly jars off of freecycle and picked up more lids for jars. I also bought a cheap bottle of vodka for making tinctures someday. And I got a few jars of spagetti sauce that was on sale. Mark prefers store bought to my home made.

3 comments:

Melody said...

What did you find was the reason your bread wasn't rising well?

I need to plant cool weather crops again: broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, lettuce, etc.

Good job on always progressing! :-)

Christy said...

I was adding too much flour and the bread pan I was using wasn't the proper shape. Turns out the dough is supposed to be a lot stickier than I thought.

I am going to plant some brocolli this week. And maybe some cauliflower.

Anonymous said...

Hi Christy,
That was good about finding the jars on the freecycle and good advice you have down about the bread. I have trouble with mine sometimes too.
On the 2 jersey calves we have, both are bulls. We think we will keep one and sell one when he gets bigger. We have found that the Jersey cows are more gentle than some of the other breeds.
I know you can't wait to get one. I hope it won't be long now.
Have a great week.
Pam