Sunday, May 3, 2009

Chicks

It's hard to believe we got chicks a week ago and I haven't posted about them yet! Man, I've been busy.

The chicks actually came in last Sunday, luckily the mail woman was at the post office when they came in. I didn't expect them until Wednesday so I scrambled to get things set up.

We got 11 meat birds (dark cornish) and 6 egg layers (a few assorted breeds). We ended up getting 2 mystery chicks.

We have 3 americaunas. This one is silver and very pretty. Since one of the americaunas is one of our mystery chicks, we aren't sure this silver one is a girl. I sure hope so! We named this one Dusty Miller.
Another Americauna that has tuffs of feathers under it's eyes. We named this one Sweet Cecily. I also know we have 2 speckled sussex, and 2 silver wyandottes who are with our friend right now. We split the order with a friend and wanted to make sure they didn't end up with any of our meat birds, so they have a few of our egg layers until they get older.

The ducklings have grown a lot! Look how big this one is. I think they will be moving outside in a dog kennel soon.

Here they are on their first field trip outside, this was a few days ago. They sure do make a mess in their brooder!

12 comments:

Zachary and Jennifer said...

How Cute!

Jennifer

Melody said...

Fun stuff!

crowson2000 said...

i made a similar temporary pen for our goat kid with 3 ft. chicken wire and 6 of those little metal posts that you use for electric fences. it went up in about 30 minutes. but I would have done it with the dog kennel parts if i had them. :)

Sue said...

What a great enclosure. I love the chicks....so cute!

Anonymous said...

Adorable chicks, Good Luck

TxFarmhouse said...

You should feel very fortunate to have found chicks. I'm finding that so many places are back-ordered. Chickens are funny creatures...it's amazing how a chicken can take on a personality.
Keep your stories coming..I love 'em.
RiverBend Farm

linda m said...

They are so cute!!!! Also congrats on finally getting a truck.

ChristyACB said...

Oh those duckies are really growing! And the chicks are precious. I hope you'll keep us updated on how their personalities develop.

Amy said...

Oh how cute! Don't blink or you'll miss them growing up! I'd lay money on your silver chick being a Silver Spangled Hamburg. I had one too and it turned out to be a roo. Your ducklings look so luxuriously soft. I'd love to hold them!

Anonymous said...

Gosh girl, you're farm just keeps growing!! Congrats on the new additions! :)

FarmHouse Style said...

Oh your chicks are too cute! I have some ameraucnas too. I know exactly what you mean about the ducks. They are already much bigger than the chicks that are the same age... and boy are they MESSY! If they weren't so cute, I'd sell them off.

Rhonda

Anonymous said...

The biddies are looking good! and the ducklings too.

They all grow so fast.
I understand the busy part. We have been sooo busy lately.
I keep meaning to get back to you on the bantams. We never did get a lot of the gold sebrights hatched. Sorry!
We are shutting the incubator down for the summer. Us and the chickens need a break. But, we plan on letting the hens sit on their own eggs then let them out of the chicken house during the summer months. I'll let you know about the sebrights then, if you still want some later.
Thanks,
Pam