Sunday, May 24, 2009

Meet Eris


We got a new goat yesterday! She is a mini-nubian and is 4 months old. She is very sweet and very tiny. She is smaller than Orion who is a month younger than her. She weighs probably half of what Orion weighs. Now, Orion is fat but...

Apparently she didn't show the colors the breeders wanted and she has airplane ears, so she was a good price. I think she is beautiful and will make a good milk goat in a few years. We will be getting another doe in a month who should hopefully be bred and then our goat herd will be complete until babies start coming.



Aurora is still adjusting to her, there is much chasing and banging involved. Orion loves her already. She hasn't met the sheep yet, I'm worried about Sweet Pea hurting her. She can be a little rough with the goats, and Eris is so small. So I will keep her away from the sheep for a few weeks.

17 comments:

Gone2theDawgs said...

I think Eris is beautiful! (and to be honest I find airplane ears much more endearing than the floppy preferred Nubian ears!):)

Danni said...

Well, hey there, Eris! And welcome to the farm!! :-)

linda m said...

What a beautiful little goat. I love her already - she looks so sweet.

SwingCat123 said...

Oh, how adorable.

Sondra McCoy said...

She looks perfect for your family. Can't wait to meet her.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

oh she's cute. I hope I'm never without goats in my life and I'm sure you are feeling the same way.

Amy said...

She's very cute! I have a question--do mini-Nubians ears stay more upright than standard Nubians? When I hear "Nubian" I automatically think "floppy ears" but Eris doesn't have floppy ears. Are they different in that respect?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Congrats! Eris is cute and funny looking...and pretty, too!

~Lisa

Anonymous said...

Eris is adorable. She is so lucky to join your family. Goats are very social so Orion will enjoy having a new addition to the family to keep company with while everyone else is busy.

berryvine said...

I love the name Eris. She is cute. I have a couple with airplane ears this year. The Ober/Boers a little boy told me yesterday they look like kangaroo's.

Gail said...

More beautiful stock!

May you have lots of kids so your milking is not such a chore!

Zachary and Jennifer said...

Lovely markings.

Jennifer

TxFarmhouse said...

Eris is so cute! Isn't it fun still adding to the family?

Carla said...

Goodness, I feel as though I've been under a rock---I don't remember you having so many animals!
Sweet Pea has the sweetest face. Congrats on adding Eris.

You really need to get Thyme a friend. Such a lonely duckling. :( Chickens are so uppity and mean.

Sue said...

What a sweet face. Hope they all make the adjustment.

Gayle said...

And the family grows! Glad she found a good home with you.

Christy said...

Amy - she is supposed to have floppy ears, but doesn't. That is why they were getting rid of her. I guess it is from breeding the nubian with the nigerian dwarf. Nigerians have more airplane type ears.

Gail - that is the best wish I've gotten in a long time!

CeeCee - I'm trying to re-home Thyme so he has a friend or 2.