Friday, May 15, 2009

Update

Just a quick update on what is going on around here. Orion is back to normal. Escaping the fence, eating the plants, all the normal stuff.

The snake that we assume killed the duckling, the snake we had been seeing all over the farm, including the barn, got mowed over the other night. It was completely an accident. It was a black snake and we knew having him around was good (except the duckling thing).

Our baby bluebirds flew away and these 2 eggs were left behind. I assume these were eggs that didn't hatch. We saw them in the nest even when the babies were there.
Some garden updates. Baby pumpkin.

Baby corn.
Baby sunflowers.

Thyme is doing well. The chickens talk to her through the fence.



I should get some chick pictures tomorrow. They've grown a ton! Everytime I go in there, they act like I'm going to eat them. I keep reassuring them I'm not, but they don't seem to believe me. I'm not sure why ;)
And one question, is a 2 year old sheep good eats?


12 comments:

Carla said...

2 year old sheep are NOT good eats, unless you live in New Zealand.

Sue said...

Glad to hear Orion is okay. A bit mischievious, but okay!
Have a great weekend!

Deb said...

Your veggies are coming along nicely and your duckling is very cute :)

2yr old sheep can be good eats depending on what breed,what gender and what you do with the meat. If your concerned it might be strong flavored, turn in all into sausage. It's yummy, especially in spaghetti ~

Have a great weekend ~

Gayle said...

Your ground looks to have a lot of clay. Does it? Seems so dry. I wonder about eating sheep....Daisy is two and sometimes I think it would be better if she were gone considering the price of food for her (I pay $16 a bale for hay and have no grazing area). Is sheep good to eat?? Glad Orion was up and about today.

TxFarmhouse said...

Glad Orion is okay. Thyme looks so cute in his pen. Sorry, don't know a thing about sheep. But I love sheep stories.

Christy said...

Gayle - our ground is pure clay! It gets very dry between rains and then is a mud pit when it rains.

Lamb is delicious! My favorite meat but that is animals under 1 year of age. I'm not sure about an older animal, I've heard the meat can get tough and gamey. That is a lot to pay for hay!

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

Glad Orion is better now.

I was looking at your GOALS 2009, you're coming along.

linda m said...

Glad to hear Orion is feeling better and back to playing "Houdini". don't know a thing about sheep. Have a great weelend.

linda m said...

Forgot! Thyme looks so cute in his pen; glad the chickens are talking to him. Gee, I wonder why the chickens think you are looking at them like "meat". Aren't some of them "meat" chickens?

Ron said...

Funny, our bluebirds had two unhatched eggs as well. Guess that's why they lay so many. :)

Can't go wrong with sausage.

Ron

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

So....who's gonna be mutton dinner?

~Lisa

Christy said...

Lisa - Andromeda is having some health problems and we are probably going to have to have her put down. Turns out she is closer to 5 so we probably won't eat her. I may just have my neighbor deal with it.