This last week wasn't so great as far as the challenge goes. I've been sick since Tuesday so that hasn't helped.
2. Harvest something - I've been harvesting 3 or 4 strawberries a day from my 2 plants. We just eat them right off the plant.
5. Cook something new - I made lamb chops and asparagus on the grill. It was the first time for both of those things and they were both delicious!
6. Manage your reserves - In our effort to clear out the freezer before moving, I used the last of the grated zuccini in muffins and made the lamb chops. I have a lot of bacon to take care of. Any suggestions on how to use up a fair amount of frozen bacon?
9. Learn something - this is where I really kicked butt this week. I did a bunch of reading on root cellars and different ideas on how to store food. I came up with a few ideas that should work at the new house since there is no basement or hill to build a root cellar in.
I also read a book about permaculture and one on biointensive gardening. I'm trying to decide how I want to design the garden at the new house. The soil is hard red clay, so I'm thinking I'll be doing raised beds. I really like the idea of the keyhole garden and I want to have a medicine wheel garden, so I may end up with a series of round gardens. I'm still in the thinking stage.
We also went to the local John Deere dealer to start trying to figure out what we are going to need tractor wise. It is a pretty hard decision.
10. Store something - I bought some canning lids and a few boxes of the pectin I use for jam.