Saturday, May 24, 2008

We found a house!

Man, things move slow in GA! 2 weeks ago yesterday, we told our realtor in GA that we wanted to make an offer on a house. What would have taken an hour on the phone in Delaware, took 2 weeks of back and forth contracts in GA. Everything had to be done in writing, so all the negotiations involved writing up multiple contracts with days between each contract to finally get a contract we all were happy with. But we did it! We have a contingency contract on a house in Monroe, GA.

Here is the front of the house. I love the porch and the color, it makes me feel peaceful.
The house is on 6.25 acres with a pond in the back. This is looking back at the house from the pasture. I can't wait to have ducks in the pond! There is a great flat area with full sun for a garden in the back of the house.
Here is more of the pasture in back. It is wooded along the sides and there are trees scattered throughout the pasture for shade. It isn't fenced so we will be taking care of that.
This is the kitchen. It is very bright and open which I like.
And the big family room. The deer heads won't be staying LOL. The ceiling fans will however.

They already have a chicken coop set up in the side yard with 6 laying hens. The coop is staying but I'm not sure about the chickens yet.

The house is down a good size gravel driveway off of a side country road. There are a lot of trees in the front yard. The house is closer in to town than we ideally wanted, but I think it will work out. Mark will only be 10 miles from work which he is looking forward to and it will be easier for Logan to stay involved in karate and for us to get involved with homeschooling groups. As long as the zombie hordes don't attack one day, being closer in will be nice. If they do attack one day, we'll be in seriously trouble LOL.

There's no basement, so I'll have to figure something out for food storage, but I'm already working on that. It isn't the perfect house and land, but nothing ever is. It is by far the best we found in GA and we're both excited about it.


The contract is good until July 21, so we have until then to sell our house or the contract will end. 2 houses sold in our neighborhood this week, the best one and the worst one. We are now the best house in the neighborhood, so I'm hopeful ours will sell soon. We have showings number 23 and 24 scheduled so far for this weekend. If anyone wants to send more house selling energy we'd sure appreciate it. Living in a model home and having to leave on average 5 times a week for showings is getting old!

19 comments:

frugalmom said...

Congrats! The place looks great. There are always compromises to be made, right? You just have to figure out which ones you are willing to make! It looks like you will be able to do all you would like to do!

linda m said...

I am so happy you got the house! I loved it the moment I saw the pictures. I am sending you tons of "house selling" energy. I have been praying every day that you would sell your house and will continue to until it is sold. You should be feeling all the energy vibes I send every day

Christy said...

Mom - Thanks for all the house selling energy. I really feel it is going to happen in the next week or so. Our realtor has sold 3houses in the last week or so, we've got to be next!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

That GA house is gorgeous!! The land is stellar! You can have sheep, goats, a cow, chickens...maybe even a couple llamas, too (wink)

Really, though, it's quite beautiful. I'd love to know what you think of the real estate market in GA, though. Can you get more for your money there, compared to DE?

I've been thinking of you and I hope you can feel all of my positive house-selling thoughts and vibes.
With school almost over, you can count on more people out house hunting and wanting to get into a new house before public school starts up again.

Stacey said...

Yeah! The house and land looks great. I can imagine all the plans that are brewing.

Christy said...

You can get a lot more house for your money in GA. The house in GA is about the same size as our current one but on 6.25 acres. Our current house is on .2 acres. The house in GA is quite a bit cheaper than what we will sell the one here for.

Howling Hill said...

sending you energy to sell your house!

Wendy said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you, and the house looks very pretty. The land is just gorgeous!

Sending house selling energy - lles esuoh ... lles esuoh :)*.

*If you've read much Roald Dahl, you'll appreciate that ;).

Deanne said...

Wow! The new house and land are gorgeous. I know you'll be living and loving it there very soon. ;)

Danielle said...

oh it looks absolutely lovely! How wonderful that it has water. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful Christy, I'm so excited for you. Wishing my ducks would lay soon so I could send you eggs to incubate. You need some cayugas on that pond!! ;)

Christy said...

Farm mom - I'd love some duck eggs to incubate! I really want some of those cute little black ducks on the pond.

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone.

Perri said...

Congratulations Christy!

What a beautiful house! And a terrific pasture too. I can just see the sheep grazing out there.... Sending lots of house selling vibes your way.

Perri

Danni said...

Yay hooray!! That is a most beautiful house - and it's got a pond!! It looks so peaceful and I love the mix of open space and trees...oh Christy - I think it looks absolutely delightful.

But...I am dying over your zombie hordes comment!! ha ha HA!!! What in the WORLD made you say that?!! As I have two teenage boys with extremely active imaginations, we have been having the "what if a zombie attack occurs" conversation for, oh, about the last 10 years. We have all sorts of emergency and contingency plans. We discuss -frequently- what will kill them and what won't. And they are both very relieved that our house is as far out in the country as it is now. :-) (And to think I used to want a little girl whose fingernails I could paint) :-)

Seriously, though - congrats on the house...your dream is coming true!

Anonymous said...

I'd be glad to share some eggs with you. Although, I have a feeling you may already have the place full of animals and the pond overflowing by the time they lay!! :) But, I'll let you know when they start laying, just in case.

Christy said...

About the zombie hordes, I'm a big believer in peak oil and that the future will be hard. I've been reading a few survival type books lately and they all involve roaving bands of people looking for food and generally killing home owners to get it. I don't know if this is really a possibility in the future, but I was hoping to be farther out in the country so we would be a less likely target. At this house, we will be a pretty easy target. I know this all sounds paranoid and I sure hope it is!

Anonymous said...

yeah! way to go Christy! C'mon down to Georgia, and get ready to move more slowly :)

Tim
Nature's Harmony Farm
Elberton, GA

Anonymous said...

Oh I can't believe it is in Monroe. My Mother and Sister both live that county. And the first house we build is nearby there.
That is so great and it is beautiful. It looks just like a farm dream.
I am so happy and proud for you and your family.

Christy said...

Maybe when you visit your family we can meet? It would be great to meet some blog friends in person.