Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Been busy




I can't believe it has been almost a week since I updated. Sorry! My dad was here this weekend which involved 2 late trips to the Atlanta airport which is 1 and a half hours each way. Friday night we didn't get home until midnight and Sunday night we got home at 9:30 pm but I still had to milk the goat, so it was late by the time I was done. Last night was spent recovering. It was a great visit with my dad, but tiring!

Things are going pretty well with the goats. I'm settling into a routine, I still can't say I enjoy it, but it isn't so bad anymore. I still think I should be getting more milk, I'm getting about 1.5 pounds a day between 2 milking. The woman I got her from said she was getting 2.5 pounds a day out of her. I'm not sure why I'm getting so much less. Will her milk production keep going up or is this where I'm peaking? It is enough for us and the baby, I just hate feeling like I'm failing! I want to do a post about my milking routine soon. Maybe tomorrow.

Orion seems to be doing well. He isn't as hyper as I expected. He is active but not crazy like I've heard and seen. Is it because his only goat company is an adult who is calm? Would he be more hyper around kids? When we visited 1 goat farm the babies climbed all over Logan's back. With Orion if we sit down he generally climbs into our lap for cuddles. He does jump on stuff, just not all the time. I'm a mom so I worry about everything. I want to be sure he is healthy.

I went to look at some sheep last week and will be getting 2 adult ewes and a ewe lamb in a month. The same woman had someone back out on some of her other sheep and now has a mom and her two lambs available. She offered them to me and I'm trying to decide if I want them. I don't want to overwhelm myself, but a mom and her 2 babies may not be too much to handle. They are ready to go now. I'm just not sure. This farm life can be stressful!

14 comments:

Claire MW said...

Oh those pictures of Logan and Orion are soooo cute! Love it! Orion sits in his lap just like Luna does in mine. I need to get her on a leash apparently!

Zachary and Jennifer said...

Sheep too?! Go for it. :-)

Jennifer

Barb said...

That is the cutest picture! I'm sure you are doing fine. Every animal is different.

linda m said...

What cute pictures of Logan with his goat! That is kinda strange that you are only getting 1.5 pounds of milf where as the other lady got 2.5. at least you are getting enough for Orion and for yourselves. Good luck with the sheep.

FarmHouse Style said...

I think it is probably establishing your routines that make it feel so stressful right now. If you feel like jumping in all at once, go for it! If you think maybe you would like to become more comfortable with the goats first, then that is what I would do. It is a lot to learn, each animal has it's own set of requirements. Don't rush yourself.

I'm no milking expert, but maybe your just going through the learning curve. As you and Aurora become more familar with each other, I bet the amount will increase.

Orion looks like he is happy and healthy. He and Logan make the cutest little pair:-)

Rhonda

Maile said...

I cant wait to come visit the goats, orion is sooo cute. I hope to visit in the next month, if that works. I don't know about the sheep, it may be a bit overwhelming to do so soon after the goats. Then again, why not? So, have you got a good recipe for yogurt? I love goat yogurt!

FarmHouse Style said...

Hey Christy. The blueberry blossoms are on the new bushes that I got at the nursery a couple of weeks ago. My other bushes are just now starting to bud as well.

Rhonda

Kelly said...

If your like me, its hard to resist getting just one more thing. ;) If its a good price and you want them I say get them. I am going to try and restrain myself from adding anything else to my patch of land though. I think I have reached my limit right now as far as my day being full! That picture is just so cute! Hugs, Kelly

Danielle said...

How far along in her lactation is she? She may have peaked and will be heading back down now; regardless, it will be tricky to try to up her production at this point, especially since you said she's already getting alfalfa and you're milking twice a day, right?

Honestly, the small amount of milk was one of my biggest reasons for going with a cow rather than more dairy goats. I just didn't feel like I was getting very much for my work. I was milking once a day and getting about a pound to a pound and a half. Now I spend just as much time with Bella, though I milk twice a day now, and I get around 40 pounds!

As far as sheep, you might ask yourself why you're getting them, how you'll shear them, how you'll breed them, how you'll butcher them, that kind of thing. Then if you like all your answers, go for it as long as your land can handle the numbers. You may be surprised by how quickly the pasture goes during drought season—I know I always am. You might also consider whether you'll be wanting to keep some of your own babies. If so, buying fewer to start with might make more sense in terms of numbers.

Also, you may want to consider where you'll be getting hay and how you'll store it. This year, we got 10 700lb round bales and have just two left. I'm surprised at how much we went through, but glad that I brought in that much. We stored ours on their sides on pallets and under tarps, and just rolled one around to the barn when we needed it. We flaked it off to feed it out each day, messy but less waste and far more cost effective than square bales.

Hope that helps. Sounds like you're doing great. Oh, one more thing that might help with production—consistency in terms of milking times. I try to deviate no more than 15 minutes from our schedule. It's a pain, but it's worth it.

Melody said...

Spring is always the busiest. It will get easier, I promise.

Christy said...

Danielle, she is 3 weeks into her lactation. I am milking twice a day and giving alfalfa, but she doesn't eat much of it. I have to admit to not being as consistent in the milking times as you are. I'm usually within 30 minutes but a few times our schedule has been crazy, like with my dad here and I've milked way off schedule. I guess that doesn't help. I will work on being more consistent. Thanks for the advice, it gives me a lot to think about.

Maile - I hope you can come soon! No recipe for goat yogurt yet. Most of the milk is still going to Orion.

Claire - Orion doesn't really like the leash. We're hoping he'll get better about walking on it. Aurora is very good on a leash.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh man....my heart is melting into a puddle of goo seeing those pics of Logan and Orion together. So sweet!!

Sounds like you are just working your way through some learning periods. It'll all work itself in time. Yes, farm life can be stressful. You and I are alike in that we worry a lot. hehe

You're doing great! Don't worry.

~Lisa

ps, I don't think you've been mentioning what you're doing with the goats milk. Are you drinking it or making soaps? What does Logan think of goats milk?

Christy said...

Lisa - So far all the milk is going to the baby. We haven't even gotten to try any yet! I'm not getting much milk and it is really bothering me. I should be getting double what I'm getting, but no matter what I do I can't seem to up her milk production. Being a perfectionist, this is driving me crazy!

Carla said...

Orion is impossibly cute! How on earth do you keep from having him as a housepet or worse yet, sleeping with Logan?