Saturday, March 7, 2009

They're here!

Orion ( sorry the picture is sideways, Blogger is doing it again. And I'm too tired to try to figure out how I fixed it last time it was doing this)
Aurora

Logan has been taking his responsibility as feeder of Orion very seriously. Orion adores Logan now and follows him everywhere.
I've been taking my responsibility as milker of Aurora very seriously. It isn't easy and I wish I had gotten 2 kids instead so that I could settle into being a goat owner before taking on milking. But, look at the cool milk stand Mark and I made!

We got the goats Thursday evening and got them home at dinner time. I should have told Mark I wasn't doing dinner, but I didn't. So, I was trying to get the goats settled in and make dinner at the same time. We thought we would keep the in the garage for a few days before moving them out to the run-in. However, they were both crying so loudly we had to move them that night. They weren't together at the last place, so they didn't know each other and were both very lonely. They are getting to be friends and are doing better when we aren't with them, but they still cry a lot. They are very people attached.

So, Thursday night by the time I got them settled, which was an ordeal since we weren't prepared to have them in the run-in and got dinner prepared, I was exhausted! And thinking I had made a big mistake (I think this whenever I get a new animal). Friday went better. I milked Aurora for the first time and it went pretty well. I also got a make shift stall made up in the run-in that I'm much happier with. Friday evening Logan had a martial arts thing that usually ends at 6:30, but ran until after 7 so we had to rush home to milk and feed Orion. It was after 9 when I finished all that and I was exhausted again.

Today we've been home all day. I've milked Aurora twice trying to get her milk production up a little. I think she's holding back on me since I'm new to her. I also ran poultry netting on a few of our fences because the chickens are getting into the garden. I planted 25 strawberries, 6 raspberries, 6 blackberries and a cherry tree. The blackberries were hard to plant because I had to dig holes in the yard which required using a pick ax to get through the clay. Needless to say, I'm tired! I still have to milk Aurora one more time and feed Orion before putting them to bed. Oh and make dinner. Luckily, Mark is out of town so dinner can be a simple affair.

Overall, we're enjoying the goats. Logan loves to run with them, they follow him wherever he runs. Orion is sweet and Aurora is warming up. She cries a lot. I don't feel a real bond with her yet but hope it will come. It is beyond muddy here since we had 3 days of rain followed by 6 inches of snow. So we are filthy whenever we spend time with the goats. We now both have farm pants.

I'm feeling like a real farmer now and it is exhausting!

21 comments:

Unknown said...

How exciting!! My first farm animals were 2 Nigerian Dwarf goats, both babies at the time! It was such an exciting time for me so I can so appreciate your excitement:) And I have a funny feeling that there will be more to come!!!

helenw said...

Oh so cute! I bet you'll get into a routine in a few weeks and forget what life was like before goats. I can't wait to pick your brain about them next time I see you -

Danni said...

Oh, they're both beautiful, Christy! Your dreams are materializing so quickly now! Happiness reigns! Hopefully your exhaustion at night is combined with a deep sense of joy and satisfaction. You've done it!! :-)

JLB said...

They're so cute! How much milk is she giving you?? She'll get used to you and give more too! Logan and Orion are going to have lots of fun together. :) Good luck, thanks for the pics

Deb said...

Congratulations on your new additions. They are both adorable.
You will just love having goats :) Your right though - it is all very tiring in the beginning trying to get into a routine. It will come and you will be so happy :)

Take it slow and don't expect too much from yourself or them - you will have them in your pocket in no time :)

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

great news. hope Dianne is well. hasn't she got the most darling farm? Is Orion a bucking? Is Aurora its mama? She has milk obviously. Building the milk stand is awesome, we bought one because we were too sorry to try to make one. :-) Tell me more, want to hear all about it.

Christy said...

I'm only getting about 8 ounces per milking. I hope I get more from her or I'm going to have to supplement for the baby.

Deb - I hope so! Right now I feel overwhelmed and worried much of the time. It is hard being responsible for another life until you get used to it. I want to be a good goat owner so I worry.

Joanna - Orion is a buckling, he will be castrated when he gets older. Aurora is not his mom, he is the baby of the goat I originally wanted but she wasn't milking well. He is polled which is nice.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

haha! It's hard now, but it will get easier once your body adjusts and you get used to the new schedules and animal care.

You're doing a great job, Christy!
And I can tell that Logan is being a good helped and enjoying the new critters on the farm.

That's a sweeet staunchion, too. Well done!

~Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hey Christy,

Just noticed your comment about Orion. Why are you waiting to castrate him? It's easier on the goat if it's done within the first 2 months.
It's great that he's polled, though. All of our goats have had to undergo disbudding. Pepper, our Boer/Cashmere, we believe was damaged by his disbudding. He's one apple short of a barrel....

But we love him anyway.

~Lisa

Gail said...

Being a farmer is exhausting!

You guys are doing a great job. Just wait till they multiply!

Christy said...

Lisa - I've been told by numerous breeders to wait until at least 8 weeks, some say 12 weeks so that they fully develop their urinary system. In wethers castrated early blockage can be a big problem. I think we'll do him at 8 weeks.

Logan is being great! He is even getting up early to do the morning feeding, which is hard on him.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely adorable,congrats!!!

linda m said...

They are so cute! The milking stand is awesome - great job:) I'm glad Logan is taking his responsibilties so seriously. He sure is growing up.

Carla said...

Me thinks Orion would be a good bedmate for Logan. (naughty grin).
It looks like your 'farm dreams' have turned into a bit of a nightmare this week. You'll hit the top of the learning curve quick enough and it will be second nature.
They are beautiful goats. Congratulations on the newest additions.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ok...now I need to look that one up, Christy. Everyone tells you different stuff, don't they?
As you know I am involved with the SW Nigerian Goat Association and all the breeders involved do their castrations early. I can't understand why removing the scrotum (which is basically a container for semen) would do anything to affect urinary blockages or problems. Very interesting.

The big thing I would be mostly concerned about Orion is mating with Aurora. I am aware of bucklings that have tried to mate as early as 2 months, but the average sexual maturity is about 3 months. So keep an eye on that little stinker, eh? lol!

Oh! And has Logan been helping you milk Aurora, too? What a big boy he's getting to be.

~Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hey Christy, you were right about the urethra information. I did some research, because I was so curious. It seems that the hormones in the testicles helps the urethra to grow larger, but that castrating should be done by 4weeks of age unless you plan to separate the buckling from any does.
Bucklings can and will breed any does, including their own Mother at 7 weeks of age.

Here's where I found this. I love Fias Co Farm for goat info! :)

Fias Co Farm Castrating Bucklings

Have fun..and thanks for making me do some brain work today. lol!

Christy said...

Lisa - Thanks for information. The woman we got him from suggested 7 or 8 weeks as the time to castrate him so I'll make it closer to 7 weeks.

Jennifer said...

Congrats on the new goats! They look very nice. You guys did a good job on that milk stand, it looks great! Did you say you were planting cherry trees? Just in case you don't know wilted cherry leaves are poisonous to goats, so if you trim any limbs don't throw them over for the goats to eat.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you have found your piece of Heaven. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new additions, christy!! They're adorable.

Linda Foley said...

Thanks for sharing the link to this post! I'll be following along. Now I need to catch up!