We got power back about 30 minutes ago. I learned a lot about where we need alternatives during this. It was 45 degrees in the house last night! Hubby is opposed to using the fireplace for a few reasons, he is really sensitive to smoke, even when we go to visit people burning wood it bothers him. And he has known a few people whose houses burned down because of chimney fires.
He was convinced to light the fire last night if we didn't have power back, but yesterday afternoon, our neighbor's house caught on fire! From a chimney fire. The whole living room and master bedroom burned and the fire got into the attic and spread through the whole top of the house. He's going to need a new roof and is going to have to gut the inside of the house and rebuild. He just finished building the house 2 weeks ago and moved in 1 week ago. Now they are going to be out for a few months while they rebuild. Turns out another neighbor's house burned down 15 years ago from a chimney fire. So out of 6 houses on our road, 2 have burned due to chimney fires. I'll never convince him to use the fireplace now. A pellet stove may be an option, or we're talking kerosene heaters as a back up.
Our well is 600 feet deep, so a hand pump won't work. We may get a generator so that we have water when we lose power. We do have lots of water stored now.
It was really scary yesterday. Logan and I were out and were on our way home. We were behind a few fire trucks and didn't think much about it until they turned onto our road. Knowing there are only 6 houses on our road we were scared. My first thought was the older neighbor had a heart attack, but the trucks went past the 3 houses at the top of the road and headed back to the 3 at the end, one of which is ours. As we went over the hill, I saw smoke coming from the right side of the road. There are only 2 houses on the right, ours and the new one our neighbor just built. My heart stopped! We got a little further up the road and I could finally see our house and it was fine. Then I looked past our house and saw the neighbors house on fire and 6 fire trucks at it. With the power out they couldn't use his well, so they had tanker trucks to put it out. It took about an hour, but they got it totally out. He's in shock as you can imagine.
The house is a wreck since I couldn't do dishes and I had to shower at the Y today. But we are fine and things should be back to normal soon. I believe we will be getting the goats this evening. I need to call the woman, her road was totally undrivable yesterday and I didn't want to get them if we didn't have power. Maybe tonight! I'll post pictures of the snow soon.