Friday, November 28, 2008

Short chicken update

Sorry to bore you with more chicken stuff, we're just so excited about them! I opened their run today and they were doing the typical staying in the run thing, so after a few hours I went down there with them. As soon as I sat down they ran out of the run and started exploring the surrounding area. I sat with them for a bit then went in.

A few hours later, Logan and I went down to check on them and they did the same thing. They were in the run and came out when we came down. Then Buttercup ate corn out of Logan's hand! He was so excited. They still don't like us to touch them, but they seem to be viewing us as protectors. They are much braver when we are around.

6 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh! That's so great Christy. Not boring chicken news at all!

They feel safe with you and Logan and that's wonderful.
Maybe if you get them a rooster to act as guardian they won't need you to sit out with them all day?

If they were coop chickens I'd not recommend a rooster at all. Unless you wanted chicks. But since you want yours to free-range, a rooster would serve as their protector.
You could probably get a rooster for free even . :)

Good luck :)
~Lisa

linda m said...

I have to second Lisa's suggestion. It sounds like they don't feel safe unless a "protector" is around.

Gail said...

I can email you a rooster right away...I wish! You are not boring any of us here. Chickens are quite wonderful. Soon you and Logan will be able to talk to them in chicken language. Notice the sound when they find something to eat. Lisa is right about the protector. The rooster will keep an eye out for dangers and in their manly voice warn the ladies to go hide.
Keep the chicken stories coming.

Melody said...

Oooh! I like your cute new look!

I just gave you an award! :-) Come by my blog and pick it up!

Carla said...

I was going to say something cheesy like, "you'll have them eating out of your hand in no time"---but you've already accomplished that. :)

Just be patient. Buff Orps can be particularly friendly. It may be that one will let you hold her and the other will not. Just hanging out with them is so soothing.

Christy said...

We are looking into getting a rooster for them. I'll let you know how it goes.