Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Visit to a llama farm

Logan and I went to a 4-H activity last night at a llama farm.

It was so much fun meeting the llamas. She had a lot of them, at least 15.
Here is the newest one. Isn't it cute!

This beauty gave me kisses. Llama kisses are something, they involve lots of blowing of air. They have very soft noses.

A few more beauties.
After meeting the llamas and doing some farm chores (that will be another post), we learned how to spin using a drop spindle. I didn't get any pictures of us doing it because Logan and I had to work together to do it. Drop spindles are much harder to use than it looks! It is much easier with 2 people.
But, here is the yarn we made hanging around Logan's neck.


It was a really cool night. Turns out she has a llama program where the kids take on one of the llamas and train it for shows. In the process they learn a lot about llamas. We are trying to decide if we want to participate in this program. It meets once a week for 3 hours which is a big time commitment. When poultry judging starts next month, it will meet once a week for 2 hours. We can't do both, so Logan is trying to decide. I think we may do poultry judging until it is done, it only lasts 2 months and then maybe do the llama thing. Although by then he will have his little wether goat to train. The llama program seems like one of these things that is too good to pass up but I'm not sure it will fit into our schedule.

Oh, and this post is for Lisa. I was thinking about you the whole time we were there!

11 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

OH MY GOODNESS, Christy, those bay colored llamas remind me so much of me female llama, Cataleya!!

What a fabulously fun day to be surrounded by all those beautiful exotic and elegant llamas. I would have been in nirvana. I know I already have two, but wish I could have a whole herd of them!
One day I wish to breed Cataleya with a worth enough male. Oh can you even imagine the sweet little cria she'd have??
I can hardly stand it!

Oh Christy! How fun for you and Logan to learn spinning on a spindle. It's good to learn that skill if you plan to work with fiber....because it will totally make you appreciate your spinning wheel! lol!
I never mastered the drop spindle. Like you said, it is very challenging. I recently bought my friend's Louet Spinning Wheel. This is the wheel I learned how to spin on. It's so easy and fun to use. I love it!

You and Logan should totally consider particpating in that llama program! What a fabulous way to try out llamas before you make your final decision to buy one of your own. (Of course, you and Logan will fall head over heels for them, I just know it!)

You guys are so lucky to have so many wonderful 4-H and animal opportunities there. I'm so incredibly happy for you guys!!!

Love ya!
Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

ps...Are you going to post and pictures and talk about your temporary foster Polish Roo soon?
I'd love to see him.
My Polish roo, Sid, is still the Sultan of our coop. The ladies love him.
And his minion, the Japanese Silky roo, Mr. Cotton, still is permitted to have a go at a few of the ladies without fearing Sid's wrath.
I'm amazed how well those two roos get along.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they are both exotic foreigners. Or maybe Mr. Cotton and Sid have made a deal. lol!

Either way, I'm just happy there is peace in the coop :D

~Lisa

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

How I wish that I had known about 4H when I was growing up. We lived in Raleigh - no farm animals. I think 4H is awesome.

Mike and I took a hike in WV once with llama's who were carrying food and drink in saddle bags. We had a great time.

Melody said...

What fun!!

warren said...

llamas are so cool...they always look like they are smiling! Cool day out I am sure!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Such busy country folk you are!! ;) I'm lovin' hearing about all your new adventures. :)

Christy said...

Lisa - how did you know about the polish roo? I guess you read all of the comments on Pam's blog.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful pictures! Makes me miss having a llama on the farm, they are very cool animals.

Unknown said...

What is 4H? Unknown term over here & I'd like to know what it is.

Christy said...

Killi - 4-H is a group for children that focuses on agriculture. They have monthly meetings and then the kids can join different clubs focused on different things, like llamas or poultry. The have shows throughout the year where the kids can show animals that they've trained. It is great for kids that want to learn more about raising different animals.

Unknown said...

Thank you.