Monday, January 12, 2009

More babbling about names

I appreciate the comments on the right name coming to me. And it may, but I HATE naming things. I'm not good at it and usually come up with something stupid. It is made additionally hard because of Mark and Logan. Any names I really like, they reject because it is too girly. I really liked Nature's Blessing, but they both HATED it. I was also trying to come up with something incorporating bluebird, because we have a bunch of them here and I've never lived anywhere with bluebirds. I really liked Bluebird Haven Homestead, but it was rejected by the 2 boy folks also.

So, in some ways I'd rather turn the whole naming thing over to someone else and be done with it. Probably we will put Foggy Bottom and Whistling Wind on the short list and live here longer, at least into spring and see if anything else comes to us. We don't have many trees on the property and none of them are special. But maybe a whole flock of something will show up in the spring and make the naming obvious.

This is why we came up with that naming scheme for the animals. Makes things so much easier.

11 comments:

Melody said...

What about naming the farm after the *feeling* of the farm or its *purpose* to your family? For example, we bought property in AZ a few years ago where it was so quiet that I *heard* a bird's wings flapping before I actually *saw* the bird itself. Its name was Serenity Farms.

Anonymous said...

I am glad we went with themes in naming our goat kids though and it was easy naming our farm.

It's me said...

How about "Ninja-Kamikaze Bluebird Farm". Something like that should keep the guys happy ;

Christy said...

Melody - Those are the names that are being rejected by the boys. Anything about peace, or dreams or things I would like.

Meadowlark - I like it!

Unknown said...

When my parents get a new campervan or car, I get the job of naming it using the letters & numbers in the registration plate. If you're willing, could you give me your initials of all of you (surname, too), full names if you trust me with those & I'll have a play. What is your zip code? Oh, wait, your codes don't have letters, so what is the abbreviation of your county/state? I can't guarantee that I'll come up with anything brilliant, but it would be fun trying. My email is killimengri on gmail.com. Do you know any other languages? Any local native names for your area?. My house/smallholding name is in Romanes...

Jena said...

I'm glad our farm is already named, simply Becker Farms. Now the trouble I'm having is creating a logo for us. I'm pretty good with photoshop but I am wayyy overthinking the project and might end up letting someone else do it. It looks like you're all set with logos, you have some pretty cute ones already. Good luck with the name game! :)

Gail said...

Let them name the farm and you name the house!

Anonymous said...

Killi here ~ I've been posting some pictures on my Wordpress blog & talking about the names I've given some of my animals. :)

linda m said...

How about Whispering Winds Farm or Hidden Creek Farm. Then again the boys might like "Manly Acres", Big Boy Farm, He-Man Ranch, Dude Ranch. :)lol!!!! I thought Gail had a good idea - let them name the farm and you name the house. Good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

What about something with initals or surnames? My 7yo dd middle name starts with G and my 4yo sons name starts with G so we are planning on something Double G Farms or similar.

Naming things can be a PITA, though. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, hit publish too quickly.


What about something with initals or surnames? My 7yo dd middle name starts with G and my 4yo sons name starts with G so we are planning on something Double G Farms or similar.

Naming things can be a PITA, though. ;-)